India, France to carry mega air exercise ‘Garuda’ in a Gregorian calendar month:
· The Indian and French air forces will carry out a two-week-long mega air exercise beginning July 1 in France in a boost to military-to-military ties between the two countries.
· A fleet of Sukhoi 30 fighter jets of the Indian Air Force will engage in dogfights with France’s Rafale multirole aircraft in simulated scenarios as part of the ‘Garuda’ exercise
World Bank to provide USD 287 million loans for health care improvement in Tamil Nadu:
· The World Bank will provide USD 287 million to improve health care in Tamil Nadu.
· The central government, the state government, and the World Bank signed a loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Health System Reform Program.
· Tamil Nadu ranks third among all Indian states in the NITI Aayog Health Index, which is reflected in vastly improved health outcomes.
Army's training exercise in Punjab ends:
· A major training exercise conducted by the Indian Army in Punjab ended.
· The exercise "Kharga Prahar", which began on May 27, was undertaken in the plains of Punjab by various units and formations of Army's Kharga Corps.
Thai camp leader Prayuth Chan-Ocha voted in as prime minister when election:
· Thailand’s new parliament voted in ruling military junta chief General Prayuth Chan-Ocha as prime minister five years after he overthrew an elected government.
· The former army chief secured the 375 votes needed to secure the post in a vote by both houses of parliament, one of which was entirely appointed by the junta.
Nigeria's envoy to UN nonappointive President of the 74th session of UNGA:
· Nigeria's Ambassador to the United Nations Tijjani Muhammad-Bande was elected as President of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly.
· The 193-member UNGA elected Muhammad-Bande, who had been nominated by Nigeria and endorsed by the African group, at the election by acclamation.
India ranks low on gender equality index, stands at 95 out of 129 countries:
· India ranks 95 out of 129 countries, below countries such as Ghana, Rwanda, and Bhutan in a new gender equality index released on the second day of the ‘Women Deliver Conference’. Out of the most score of a hundred supported the country’s performance on the gender parameter of property Development Goals (SDGs) Asian country scored fifty six.2.
L&T money unveils 'Digital Sakhi' program in Tamil Nadu:
· Larsen and Toubro Financial Services unveiled the Digital Sakhi program aimed at training over 40,000 people on digital financial inclusion in Tamil Nadu.
· The move comes in the backdrop of successful implementation of a similar program in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
The banking access point should not be more than 5 km: Nandan Nilekani-led panel on digital payments:
· Banks need to ensure that no user is more than 5 km away from a banking access point and if such areas are found, these must be considered ‘shadow areas’ and a local vendor be made a banking correspondent (BC) as he deals in money and stays there.
RBI releases report on Benchmarking India's Payment Systems:
· The report on 'Benchmarking India's Payment Systems’ which was released mentions that the country is "strong" in areas like having necessary laws and cash in circulation per capita.
· The report provides a comparative position of the payment system ecosystem in India relative to comparable payment systems and usage trends in other major countries. It says India is a "leader" in regulating costs of payments systems, number of debit cards issued and automated teller machines.
China will host the 2023 Asian Cup, confirms AFC
· China will stage the 2023 Asian Cup football after South Korea, Thailand and Indonesia dropped their bids.
· This was confirmed by the Asian Football Confederation in Paris.
· It will mark the second time for China to host the quadrennial continental tournament. In the 2004 edition, China had finished runners-up to Japan.
World Environment Day 2019
· Celebrated on June 5 every year to stress the importance of our active participation in environment conservation, World Environment Day emphasizes on sustainable living in this age of indiscriminate waste production. This year, the theme is ‘Beat Air Pollution’.