Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik resigns from Bijepur constituency:
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik has resigned from Bijepur assembly constituency. Assembly Speaker Surya Narayan Patra has accepted his resignation.
- Mr Patnaik had contested assembly elections from Hinjili and Bijepur constituencies and won both the seats.
Four Lakh people to converge at Raigad fort to celebrate Shivaji Maharaj’s coronation ceremony
- Nearly four Lakh people are expected to converge on June 6 at the historic Raigad fort situated 170 Kms from Mumbai to celebrate the anniversary of the Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj’s coronation ceremony.
- Organizers said series of events including Puja, flag hoisting, the arrival of Palkhi of Shivaji, exhibitions and a host of other cultural programs will be conducted spread across two days from June 5.
Telangana celebrates State formation day:
- In Telangana, people celebrated the fifth anniversary of its Formation Day on 2 June with enthusiasm and fervor.
- Chief Minister Chandrasekhar Rao hoisted the tri-color at a ceremonial program held on the lawns of Jubilee Hall at Public Gardens in Hyderabad. Later addressing people, he appealed to them to play a greater role in making the governance corruption free.
GST revenue collection crosses Rs One lakh cr in May:
- The GST revenue collection has crossed one lakh crore rupees in May this year, which is a growth of 6.67 percent over the revenue collected in the same month last year.
- The GST collected during last month was one lakh 289 crore rupees as compared to over 94 thousand crore rupees in the same period of last year. Finance Ministry in a statement said, a total of 72.45 lakh GSTR-3B returns were filed in the month of May.
- An amount of 18,934 crore rupees has also been released to the states as GST compensation for the months of February-March, 2019.
GDP growth slows to a five-year low at 5.8% in the January-March quarter:
- India's economic growth rate slowed to a five-year low of 5.8 percent in January-March 2018-19, due to poor performance in the agriculture and manufacturing sectors.
- According to the Central Statistics Office (CSO) data released, GDP growth during 2018-19 fiscal stood at 6.8 percent, lower than 7.2 percent in the previous financial year. The growth in the gross domestic product (GDP) was slowest since 2014-15. The previous low was 6.4 percent in 2013-14.
Overseas investors pump over Rs 9,000 crore into Indian capital markets in May:
- Overseas investors pumped more than 9,000 crore rupees into the Indian capital markets in last month on expectations of more business-friendly measures following the BJP's landslide victory in the general elections. Interestingly, foreign investors were net sellers for the first three weeks of May, but the tide turned just ahead of the announcement of election results.
- According to the latest depositories data, Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) infused around 7,920 crore rupees into equities and 1,111 crore rupees in the debt market during second to -31st of May, taking the cumulative investment to around 9,031 crore rupees.
India’s unemployment rate stood at 6.1% in FY18:
- India’s unemployment rate stood at 6.1% in FY18, official data showed, highlighting the challenge that confronts the Narendra Modi-led government. The data isn’t comparable with that of past years, the government contended, in effect seeking to refute previously leaked reports that said they showed the unemployment rate was at a 45-year high.
- The Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) of the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) released on showed the unemployment rate in the country in FY18 was at 5.3% in rural India and 7.8% in urban India, resulting in the overall unemployment rate of 6.1%.
Rajnath Singh leaves for Siachen, his first visit as Defence Minister:
- At Siachen, the world’s highest battlefield, Rajnath Singh will be briefed about the security situation in the region along the borders with Pakistan, and the operations being conducted by the Army, along with the support of air effort by the Indian Air Force.
- Mr. Singh will be accompanied by Army Chief General Bipin Rawat. Defence Minister will also be given detailed presentations on the functioning of 14 Corps and 15 Corps including the Army's overall preparedness.
- The Army's 14 Corps guards the Line of Actual Control with China as well as the Line of Control with Pakistan. The Srinagar-based 15 Corps is mainly tasked with carrying out anti-terror operations in the Kashmir valley.
Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa leaves for 4-day Sweden visit:
- Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa has left for Sweden on a four-day official visit. He will visit various operational and training units as well as interact with senior functionaries of the Swedish Air Force amongst others.
Centre shortlists five cities for International Yoga Day:
- The Centre has shortlisted five cities, Delhi, Shimla, Mysore, Ahmedabad, and Ranchi to hold National Programme of the International Yoga Day this year. It will be the government's first mega public event after Mr. Narendra Modi became Prime Minister for the second consecutive term.
- Official sources said names of these cities have been sent to the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) which will finalize the venue of the main function to be held on June 21. If selected, the national capital would be hosting the event for the second time. For the first time this year, Indian experts will be demonstrating yoga postures to the members of the British Parliament.